We hear these words ‘environmentally-friendly’ and ‘eco-friendly’ a lot at the moment. But what does it actually mean for a business to be eco-friendly? Read on to find out what I’m doing as a business through environmentally conscious packaging, and what you will be doing as a customer of Sara Jane Candles.
Know the stats
I came across an article the other day by Condor Ferries. It was about the threat to marine life due to plastic pollution in our oceans. They say that “at the rate we are polluting the ocean with around 12.7 million tonnes of plastic a year, the damage we are doing to marine life and our ecosystem is becoming irreparable.” This is both a saddening and alarm realisation to come to terms with. Did you know that 100% of baby sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs? How awful.
But thankfully, there are things that we can do in our homes and in our businesses that can alter the course of these tragic numbers. When you buy from Sara Jane Candles there is absolutely no plastic in my packaging.
What am I doing to help?
Here is what you will receive:
- You will receive your wax melts or tea lights in a glassine bag. Glassine is a smooth and glossy paper that’s made air, water and grease resistant through a process called supercalendering. Finally, as they’re not waxed or chemically-finished during manufacturing, glassine bags are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable.
- The packing peanuts that I use to protect your products are made from cornstarch. They can be dissolved easily & safely in water.
- I re-use any packaging as and when needed ensuring that nothing goes unnecessarily to waste.
- My packaging tape is both eco-friendly and acid free, and I use beautifully logo’d compostable tissue paper.
- Recycled paper is used to make all my labels.
- The seeded dust covers are provided to protect your candle & our business cards are now infused with seeds. This means that once you’re finished with them, you can recycle them by planting it and growing some beautiful wildflowers. Check these out by a lovely small business – A La Kart Creations.
- All of our fragrances are cruelty free, suitable for vegans/vegetarians and paraben free made with vegan soy wax. Read my previous blog here about the benefits of soy wax compared to paraben wax.
- I have also just started using wood wool in my packaging by Forest Lighter to protect my products. Eco wood wool is suitable for packing, decorating, hampers, gift boxes, cosmetics and candles. Made from hand-picked spruce trees and completely free from chemicals and dust, wood wool is a great idea for packaging. This product is PEFC and FSC certified.
What can you change?
So, that’s what I am doing to contribute to reducing plastic pollution. I have done this by creating more environmentally conscious packaging, what can you do? Firstly, sit down and take a look at your business as a whole. Ask yourself “how eco-friendly is my business really?”. Then I would suggest breaking your business down into sections; the product itself, packaging for safety, delivery packaging & stationery. More compostable fabric, easy to dissolve material or recyclable element will all make a difference. I have added some links below to help you out.
Thank you for reading.
Condor Ferries article here.
Tissue paper here.
Seeded dust covers & business cards here.